Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finished Granny's Hankie!



I am so pleased to have finished the Granny's Hankie Quilt! The quilt came out to 98" square with the quilting. Can you hear my son behind the quilt complaining  - "Stop making such big quilts Mom!" - my husband and son are standing on stools with their arms up - the quilt is floor to ceiling.
This was a 2011 block-of-the-month from Denise Russart at Just Quilting. Thank-you so much the wonderful pattern Denise!


My sister was kind enough to let me take a picture of the quilt on her queen size bed (because I don't have a bed big enough - yes, another quilt for the closet, or as my brother says - to cover the lawn tractor).

Now for some details on the quilting -


I quilted in the ditch around all the blocks and all appliqué pieces, and then did  "McTavishing" in the block backgrounds. I "pebbled" the centre circles of the blocks (because I thought they were too puffy).


I free motion quilted the sashing with perpendicular lines, and the yellow inner border is quilted using the walking foot. I thought that the straight lines contrasted with the curves of the other quilting. I kept the circles in the thin black border plain because they complimented the appliqué pieces.


I quilted a meandering feather in the black "connected garages" and McTavished the red background.


The outer border (the yellow/red/yellow one) was quilted with a design from the amazingly talented Judi at Green Fairy Quilts - she kindly gave me permission to copy one of her designs (mine is no where near as nice as the original seen here, but I am so pleased with how it turned out. There is so much stitching in this border - each side used 2 bobbins of thread!).
Borders are a great place to try harder quilting designs if you quilt on a domestic sewing machine - it is just easier to quilt borders.


The corner nine-pathces have feathered wreathes because that is one of my favourite designs (and I try to add them where ever I can!).


This is some of the thread that I used. The black is a 60Wt thread from Tre Stelle - there was 2000 meters on that spool, and the red almost empty spool is Genziana 50Wt thread (also Tre Stelle) - only 1300 meters on that spool (I had to start using Aurifil in the bobbin because I knew that I wouldn't have enough red thread). I used different colours of Aurifil 50Wt thread for around the appliqué pieces. I found the Tre Stelle thread a bit lintier than Aurifil (the thread I normally use for quilting), but I really liked quilting with the 60Wt thread.

The batting is wool (Hobbs Tuscany). The quilt started out 102" and is now 98" square. I used a white Clover pen and a Clover Hera marker for marking the quilting lines. It is quilted on my domestic sewing machine.

Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great day!

37 comments:

Karen said...

Joanne -- YAY !! It is so beautiful! You continue to be my inspiration for FMQ on my DSM. Thank you for sharing your pics and techniques with us. And congratulations !

Karen

Linda said...

So beautiful!!! Amazing quilting!!! I just love how you quilted each element!!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

WOW!

Ann J said...

This is one BEAUTIFUL quilt and the quilting is amazing !!

Ann J

Raewyn said...

Wow, what a work of art!!The quilt is beautiful and the quilting on it just so lovely. Congratulations on a fabulous finish. (Its not really going to go into a cupboard, is it...?)

Doniene said...

GORGEOUS!!! So impressed!! Bold lovely colors!!

Karen said...

Congrats on an amazing finish! Beautiful!

Vicki W said...

It's beautiful!

YankeeQuilter said...

Had to prop my jaw back up off the desktop...great quilting!

sigisart said...

Dear Joanne,
congratulations. Your quilt is very beautiful and the quilting amazing. I still just have finished the nine blocks :-((( But once upon a time I also will complete this quilt, but never, never I will quilt as beautiful as you.
Many greetings from germany.
sigisart

corina said...

Congratulations! The quilt is stunning. What really makes it special is your beautiful quilting. I hope you will be able to bring it to the next CCC retreat!

Barb said...

gorgeous!!
How great that you quilted it yourself too! Thanks for sharing your materials and process.
Beautiful photos - yes, my guys complain about holding too, lol.
It was a treat to see it on a bed.
Congratulations on a beautiful new finish!!
xx

Jam said...

Beautiful quilt,in colours and quilting. How do you quilt such a big quilt on your domestic sewing machine especially with so much detailed quilting? Love your work.
Thank you for sharing and inspiring us all.

Deanna said...

Another amazing finish! Thank you for sharing the close up quilting shots. It gives me something to dream about.

Linda said...

What a gorgeous quilt! You must be so happy! Your FMQ is awesome.

Impera_Magna said...

Congratulations on such a fantastic finish! That is one gorgeous quilt... you did a wonderful job!

Gwen, The Vintage Seamstress said...

Your quilting is to die for! You really are talented! It is simply beautiful, great blog too!
Blessings!

Tammy said...

Alright Joanne, your granny hankie quilt is absolutely gorgeous. If you are just planning to store it in a closet, I'm sure I can find a queen size bed to display it on at my house. All that quilting really compliments the applique and borders. It is fantastic! How many hours it did take to quilt it?

Christine said...

I take my hat off to you, you have done an amazing job on the quilting, love it

Pat from Florida said...

What an amazing accomplishment! You are a hero for those of us who quilt our own quilts on our DSMs. What a role model!

Just thinking, this quilt deserves a queen-sized bed. Go get one for it! LOL!

Hope it wins ribbons!

jillyヅ said...

I have been watching you machine quilt for what now, 2 years??? You have become quite an amazing quilter. This is still my fav. Beautiful work.

blessings, jilly

What Comes Next? said...

It is so beautiful! All of the quilting designs are perfect - and the border treatment your borrowed from Judi is gorgeous. You are so inspiring, you make me want to go quilt - right now!

Pamela said...

wow! Awesome job. You are truly talented. I am looking forward to sewing my first project!

SeeingStars said...

What a gorgeous quilt! The applique, the piecing, the fabric selection and the amazing quilting all work together so nicely. Thanks for sharing. :)

Corina said...

Wow, it's gorgeous!

Ruth said...

The quilt is gorgeous and the quilting is amazing! You are an inspiration to me.

Frances Leate said...

An amazing quilt and so wonderfully quilted. It looks great on the bed and please don't put it on the lawn tractor!!!! Take care.

Lesley said...

Your quilt is stunning, amazing, gorgeous, spectacular, etc. It is all of these and so much more. Congrats on completing a sensational work of art!

Marga (MarPie) said...

You really do amaze me with your quilting skills. It ia a beuaty.

Donna said...

AMAZING, AMAZING, and WOW! You are a talent! Goodness sakes!

Karen said...

Spectacular - especially that outer border. The quilt looks perfect on your sister's bed; how did she ever let you take it home?

Lucy said...

It's beautiful! Joanne. Congratulation on your finish!

GerryART said...

What a Treasure.

Great color!

hugs
Gerry

Jen said...

Wow! It's gorgeous! Great colors and beautiful quilting!

Chris said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The applique, the colors, the quilting...ALL of it. Spectacular! :)

Michele Hester said...

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the quilting details.

Michele Hester said...

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the quilting details.