Saturday, March 24, 2012

IPad Bag



Today I made a bag for my new IPad (my birthday present).


I have been working on the crazy quilted flap for the past few days.


Stitching, buttons, beads, charms, ribbon etc. I started crazy quilting when I was young, and it is still one of my favourites!
I recently started using thicker threads (Edmar "Lola" is my favourite, but also Kreinik #8 braid and Trebizond silk) and now I think I need to get bigger beads (a trip to the bead store maybe...), these ones are size 15 and I think they look too small compared to the thread. I started using thicker threads when I started crazy quilting with Bali fabrics - I just think they go better together.

More Details -


I used a magnetic clasp for the closure. These are so simple to add, and make closing a bag very easy.


They come with a metal backing that you use to mark the position of the slits that need to be cut in the fabric (I just use a stitch ripper to make the little slits), and then the prongs from the magnetic fronts are folded over the metal backing. I usually make sure that I have some extra interfacing or fabric where I place the closures.
The first time I used a magnetic clasp I made little buttonholes instead of just cutting slits, but I find no difference in the stability and just cutting the slits is so much easier.

I used diaper flannel for the "batting" and a heavy/stiff fusible interfacing for the "backing" for the "bag" portion, and quilted it with a 30WT variegated thread (Sulky).

The flap has a layer of heavy interfacing and a layer of woven, light interfacing, no quilting.


 I made a long handle,


and used a 1" ribbon inside for stability (this is a ribbon from a fat quarter bundle). I just stitched the ends together after sewing the seam down the handle, and turned the whole thing right side out.


I added some decorative stitching down the handle to hold all the layers together.
I tried a new way of making the handle adjustable, using old brass rings that I found in my first house - I think they are from curtains. The buttons are decorative and they hold the extra part of the handle.


The tassel hangs from an agate ring that my SIL gave me.
The bag is hanging from a hall mirror that my Dad made for me over 20 years ago.


The bag is 9" x 11" and fits the IPad wonderfully. I made a couple of pockets inside to hold the IPad and other "purse stuff".


These are a couple of my favourite reference books for crazy quilting - Judith Baker Montano's "Elegant Stitches" and "A~Z of Bullions" from the A~Z Series.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

corina said...

I would want an ipad just so I could have a case like that! Gorgeous crazy quilting.

Corina said...

Looks great!

Wendy said...

TRuly beautiful!

Ruth said...

That is gorgeous! Batiks really are perfect for crazy quilting. I have never done any CQ, but have thought about it. I should make a bag for our laptop. We take it with us when traveling and sometimes carry it into a restaurant to hook up to free wi-fi. I think I'll look for a CQ book.

Radka said...

Wow, I love your bag!!

GailM. said...

That is so nice. I've never made bullions. I need to give it a try. I love that Elegant Stitches book. I have it and refer to it all the time.

Needled Mom said...

That is just gorgeous!!! I love looking at well done CQ and yours is wonderful.

YankeeQuilter said...

Great project! I may need to make one for my kindle...

Fiesta said...

Love your bag Joanne. After I completed my crazy quilt, I wanted to make a crazy quilt evening bag, just haven't started it yet. You are a great inspiration

Marie said...

What a work of art! You definitely have a one-of-a-kind bag and I'm certain anyone who sees it will be envious. I inherited Judith Baker Montano's book from my mom and and planning to use it when embellishing a crazy patch that I have in the works - lots of great inspiration there.

Joan said...

Now that really lloks wonderful and so useful. I know you will use it heaps. Bags are not really something I can do.. so I think its really clever of you :)

What Comes Next? said...

what a beautiful bag!

Donna said...

What a lovely bag! It is truly a work of art.

Quilting Queen said...

Ohh...pretty, pretty...If I ever screw up my what'is to get an i pad, I know what I want to do...now that I think of it...I could downsize to an ipod...I have one of those and they deserve something just as pretty. Love crazy quilting and your fabric choices are perfect...

Terry said...

Very pretty

ann hermes said...

your bag is just beautiful. I love the idea of putting a modern electronic device into a lovely antique-looking textile bag.

Deanna said...

Technology meets classic crazy quilt. Who would have thought of that? Oh, yeah, YOU! You have such amazing ideas. And fine workmanship, too.

sarapatch said...

Your bag is very very nice..

Barb said...

wow -that ipad is traveling in style!
great embellishments

Leanne@onethouprojects said...

Lovely colours. I love the A-Z series they are such useful books. I'm curious to know more about how you did the strap.

Joanne said...

The handle is made from a 2+1/2" strip of fabric cut the length of the fabric (so that it would have less stretch). I sewed a 1/4" seam down the long side and then stitched across the top, at a slight angle, catching a 1" ribbon in the seam (making sure that the ribbon would lie between the seam allowance and the fold - see picture on the post). I did stitch the seam a couple of times for strength.
I turned the handle right side out (using a tube turning gadget - in the picture). Then it was a just a matter of using my fingers to make sure the ribbon was laying correctly, and that the seam was on the edge, an then pressing the whole thing. I added a couple of rows of decorative stitching down the length to keep everything in place.
I have used this method before and it works well. Adds stability to the handle and is much easier to turn right side out then when using iron on stabilizer.

Christine said...

Love your bag, maybe my brand new iPad needs one too

Sheila said...

Beautiful Joanne, your crazy quilting is so lovely and what a neat idea for your IPAD , maybe I should do that too.

Raewyn said...

Another gorgeous project... and did I miss your birthday,sorry! Hope you had a great day :-)The mirror your Dad made you is lovely - I thought it was a door at first - very unique.