Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August's FMQ Challenge and a Finish

Last month I managed to add my name for the July Free Motion Quilting Challenge with 43 minutes to spare (I thought I would be the last one, but 10 more people added their names after me). So this month I thought I should finish the challenge with more time to spare (I just added my name with 28 days, 8 hours and 58 minutes to spare - whoo hoo!).

The design on my sample quilt

This month's challenge is called "Jester's Hat". I really liked the design, from the talented Wendy Shepard - Ivory Spring - she does amazing quilting on her DSM. It was harder than I first thought it would be, but I love the look.


The challenge came at a good time, because I was looking for a design for my Hop To It quilt. I used the design in the background of the appliqué blocks.


Here is the quilt all finished. It is 65" x 80". I used silk batting, and flannel backing. The silk batting (Hobbs Tuscany) is so soft and pliable, it makes such a lovely light quilt. It is only a bit more expensive than their wool batting. Because it is so soft and light, it is very easy to quilt with a domestic sewing machine, it bunches so easily to fit under the machine - I highly recommend it.
I quilted it with #50 Aurifil Thread and a #80 Titanium needle. With the single hole throat plate in my machine I had no tension issues.



I did some other quilting designs that I thought complemented the "Jester's Hat".


This is the quilting from the back of the quilt.


I quilted hooked feathers in the outer border, because I thought they were like the points on the "Jester's Hat" design, and a loop and swirl design for the inner border.

Thanks to Sew Cal Gal and Wendy Shepard for this month's challenge!


One thing I did learn is that I shouldn't have added such large borders to the quilt, because I am using it as a lap quilt on the back of the couch, and only a bit of the blocks are showing. The quilt is big enough for a single bed, but neither of my two young men wanted a quilt with flowers and a bunny in their rooms - can't imagine why!

This was such a lovely quilt to make - it was made as a block of the month with a few friends - thanks Joan, Raewyn and Wendy!

Gazanias blooming in the garden


Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt Joanne and your quilting looks amazing!

Kristie said...

Oh my, I love that quilt! Which one of her books is it in? Your quilting is beautiful. I need more practice in free-motion quilting, the only quilting that I do is pantographs. I would love to branch out a little more when I get the time to practice.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

Carrie P. said...

Great job! I am going to practice that quilt design on a baby quilt.
I like the fabric you used for you bunny. I have my quilt at a long arm quilters. I can't wait to see what she does.

Wendy said...

It's beautiful!

Joan said...

It really is beautiful Joanne... I guess I need to get on with mine....
You are always an inspiration :)

wendy@iqlt said...

Hi Joanne - It is so-o-o beautiful! You do exceptional work.

ANudge said...

What a beautiful quilt! I invite you to link to Applique Thursday to share it with our applique enthusiasts. It is marvelous. And I love how that motif came out for you. I need to draw it on paper so I can commit it to one of the T-shirt quilt blocks. Great job!

Raewyn said...

Beautiful!! I love how you quilted it and a great idea to use the Jesters Hat design - it is fun and cheerful looking! Interesting about the batting (is it a warm batting?), I see I will have to experiment more.

Rebecca Grace said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finished projects! I think your jester hats are among the nicest versions I've seen posted so far for this month's challenge. This design is definitely more challenging than it seems.

You know, you COULD cut off all but 3/8" -1" of your border and rebind the quilt as a smaller piece so the blocks will show. It would be a shame after you've put in the time quilting those wide borders, but it's an option.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Great job! And done in plenty of time! I love your quilt too! ~Jeanne

ANudge said...

Gorgeous!

June D said...

All the photos look great. Have you used silk batting before? One of my online friends sent me some when I mentioned I was interested in trying it - but I keep putting off using it as I'm still learning.... Silk filled comforters are wonderul...