Saturday, August 4, 2012

Striped Tumbler Quilt

I recently finished a striped tumbler quilt for a family friend, and wanted to share my pattern.


The lap quilt is 53" x 67". The fabric is by Kansas Troubles.
It is made with tumblers cut with the GO! 3+1/2" Tumbler die.

I used -

11 fat quarters, and
2 meters (79", but 2 yards would work) of fabric for the stripes and binding


I cut the fat quarters into five 4" strips parallel to the selvage (this minimizes stretching when cutting with the GO!).


I like to lay the strips together and press them, it kind of makes them "stick" together.


I cut the five layers together, the full three tumblers the first pass,


and two with the rest of the strip.


It is actually more than 3, and 2 tumblers since there are 5 layers, but you get the idea. I cut 25 tumblers out of 1 fat quarter (I had both metric and imperial fat quarters, and cut 25 tumblers from both kinds of FQ's) with very little waste.

275 tumblers from the 11 FQ's
I pieced 30 tumblers per row, and joined 3 rows together. I made 3 of these tumbler rows. They are about 9" wide.


I pressed the seams in opposite directions, and spiralled the seams to reduce the bulk at the intersections.


I trimmed the ends of the tumbler rows,

the finished layout of tumblers and stripes
and joined the rows with alternating stripes of fabric, cut 7+1/2" wide, cut parallel with the selvage (so there are no joins in the stripes). I had four 7+1/2" pieces of fabric.  I also cut out the 2+1/2" strips for the binding, parallel with the selvage (I cut 4 strips for the binding, but you might need 5 depending on the amount of fabric you have).


I wanted to make a quilt with lots of room for machine quilting. I quilted large feathers down the stripes and meandered over the tumblers. I think it would have looked better with straight lines over the tumblers to contrast with the feathers - maybe next time. I marked the centre of the feathers with the Hera marker, and quilted it first.

I used wool batting and flannel backing for this quilt.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

Kathie said...

great quilt! love the feathers, beautiful
I have a friend that has an antique quilt similar to yours
I just love tumbler quilts!
kathie

Thriftyideastoday said...

Tumbler quilts are one of my favorites. Love how you made your. So pretty!

Terry said...

Nice quilting Joanne.

Frances Leate said...

This is a great quilt and it reminded me that I have always wanted to make a Tumbler quilt. Take care.

Linda in NC said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing your process.

Radka said...

Beautiful quilt, beautifully quilted :-)

Fiesta said...

Your work is beautiful. Thank you for sharing today.

Lesley said...

What a great quilt! Love the tumblers and how you quilted it. Your machine stitching is wonderful!

corina said...

Lovely. Perfect quilt to showcase your feathers!

Ariane said...

This is a great way to make a tumbler quilt!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Needled Mom said...

Great idea for lots of quilting space. I love the feathers.

Sheila said...

It is lovely Joanne and the feathers are terrific !

KatieQ said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern. I was planning to make a tumbler quilt last summer and got tired of cutting out the blocks. They are still sitting in a box. Your pattern is perfect. I can just use what I have already cut and start sewing.