The lap quilt is 53" x 67". The fabric is by Kansas Troubles.
It is made with tumblers cut with the GO! 3+1/2" Tumbler die.
I used -
11 fat quarters, and
2 meters (79", but 2 yards would work) of fabric for the stripes and binding
I cut the fat quarters into five 4" strips parallel to the selvage (this minimizes stretching when cutting with the GO!).
I like to lay the strips together and press them, it kind of makes them "stick" together.
I cut the five layers together, the full three tumblers the first pass,
and two with the rest of the strip.
It is actually more than 3, and 2 tumblers since there are 5 layers, but you get the idea. I cut 25 tumblers out of 1 fat quarter (I had both metric and imperial fat quarters, and cut 25 tumblers from both kinds of FQ's) with very little waste.
|275 tumblers from the 11 FQ's|
I pressed the seams in opposite directions, and spiralled the seams to reduce the bulk at the intersections.
I trimmed the ends of the tumbler rows,
|the finished layout of tumblers and stripes|
I wanted to make a quilt with lots of room for machine quilting. I quilted large feathers down the stripes and meandered over the tumblers. I think it would have looked better with straight lines over the tumblers to contrast with the feathers - maybe next time. I marked the centre of the feathers with the Hera marker, and quilted it first.
I used wool batting and flannel backing for this quilt.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!❤