Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Block 5 THQA 2012

This week's block is a very easy one (especially after last week's!), it is a Frayed Four Patch.


For this 7" block you will need - 



Print A (mine is the green stripe) -

                 4 - 2+1/4" x 4" rectangles

Print B  (mine is the red print) - 

                 4  - 2+1/4" squares

Print C (mine is the brown print) - 

                 4  - 2+1/4" squares



Start by making the centre Four-Patch with two 2+1/4" squares of Print A and two of Print B.


Sew the two sets of two together, and press the seams in opposite directions.


Join the pairs together. This unit should be a 4" square - trim if needed.


I spiralled the seams in the centre of the Four-Patch.


All the pieces are ready to be joined together like a regular Nine-Patch.


Sew the pieces into rows,


and sew the rows together. Trim the block to 7+1/2".

I hope it is fine with everyone that I have less detail each week. I just assume that everyone remembers to cut accurately, sew with a scant 1/4"seam , press the seams in opposite directions so that they "lock" together, pin the seams, make sure to trim the different units for more accuracy etc.....

Here are my other blocks -




All three of this week's blocks -


I hope you enjoy making this block as much as I did.

It is so great seeing everyone ones blocks! Thanks for sharing. Here is a link to some on Flickr too.

Have a great day and thanks for quilting along!

9 comments:

Lesley said...

Love this block and the three versions..your piecing is so precise! Well done!

Colleen said...

I look forward to Tuesday morning for the Quilt Along block. Your blocks are beautiful and I like the Flickr page to see what fabric others are using. Four gals in my Guild are participating too and we will Show and Tell together at our meetings!
Thank you Joanne!

Kindred Quilts said...

Another great block Joanne! It will be fun to audition fabric for this block! (I didn't think the Bear Paw block was difficult... I thought it was fun!)

jill said...

Thanks for an easy one today, as I am seriously behind on my blocks. Far too much nesting...all because I asked the Mr. where we will put the Christmas tree. Goodness that turned out to be a loaded question!!!

Will get caught up today and also post over on flickr.

blessings, jill

Ray said...

Wonderful easy block. I should have last week's blocks done today, and with this block this week, it will be easy to be back on track. Seeing all the blocks on the Flickr site is wonderful and fun. Thanks so much for leading us, Joanne.

Raewyn said...

Thank you Joanne - my pieces are cut out and the blocks ready to sew!

Corina said...

Lovely colours!

Soph said...

I look forward to Wednesday morning for me, living Down Under :-)
Nice blocks!!
Thank you!
Love the colours and all the explanation notes!!!
My first quilt along, and I'm loving it.
Sophie

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

That's a fun block.
Carol