Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Block 6 THQA 2012

This week's block is an Ohio Star.


For one 7" block you will need - 


Print A (mine is the orange dots) -

                        4 - 2+7/8" squares (for the corners)
                        2 - 3+3/4" squares (for the Hourglass blocks)

Print B (mine is the brown print) -

                         2 - 3+3/4" squares (for the Easy Hourglass blocks)

Print C (mine is the red print) -

                         1 - 2+7/8" square (for the centre)

My instructions are getting less detailed (please let me know if you would prefer more details, I just assume that it is becoming repetitive over the weeks), but remember to cut accurately, sew scant 1/4" seams......


Start by making the Easy Hourglass blocks (all the instructions can be found here) with the 3+3/4" Print A and Print B squares - matching one square of each together.


This will make 4 Hourglass units, that need to be trimmed to 2+7/8".


All the pieces will be arranged like the above photo, and sewn together like a regular Nine-Patch.



Trim the block to 7+1/2".

My other blocks -


For this one I only cut one Print A 3+3/4" square and I cut a Print D 3+3/4" square.


The Easy Hourglass blocks where made just the same. Starting with a Print A square matched to a Print B, and a Print D matched to a Print B, then matching the opposite half square triangles together like the above photo.


This one I challenged myself to make Easy Hourglass blocks out of striped fabric! The stripes had to go  at 90° to each other for the first half square triangles - once again, probably just me.


All three blocks together. We have past the half way point on the blocks now!

Have a great day and thanks for quilting along!

6 comments:

Raewyn said...

Cool! I don't think I've ever actually done one of these before!!

Kathie said...

one of my favorite blocks and love the striped fabric one! your fabric choices are just wonderful in all of them
Kathie

Me and My Stitches said...

I really wish I was using my FQ bundle of these fabrics and participating in this QAL with you! But, I guarantee that my stripes would not all be going the same direction. Just doesn't happen in my world! Your blocks are wonderful.

Colleen said...

Oh boy! One of my favorites! My Guild has a free sew day before a 2 day workshop so I will be making Ohio Stars! Tuesday is my favorite day of the week!!!
Thank you!

Colleen said...

Oh boy! One of my favorites! My Guild has a free sew day before a 2 day workshop so I will be making Ohio Stars! Tuesday is my favorite day of the week!!!
Thank you!

The Calico Quilter said...

I thought I was the only one who got crazy about which direction the stripes were going! Cute blocks! I laid all the blocks out on the background fabric and LOVE how they look - this will be a beautiful quilt.