Friday, December 20, 2013

A New Hat


I knitted a new hat for my husband. I noticed that the last one I had made him left marks on his head (he shaves his head, and although the hat wasn't tight, the ribbing left imprints), so I wanted a hat that was smooth on the inside. I also wanted to use some of my hand spun yarn for him. I dyed the green to match his eyes and I was surprised when it did! My dyeing is pretty haphazard.


I added this as a free pattern on Ravelry too. If you are not a member of Ravelry you can download the PDF here.

When I was writing the pattern my nephew came over and I explained to him that I had dyed the wool fibre-



Spun the yarn-


Designed a pattern-


And knit the hat-


 He looked at me, showed me his orange acrylic hat and told me that I could just buy a hat for $4!


This is wool that I dyed this week - the above photo of the dye pot is this fibre steaming.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Anneliese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anneliese said...

I just stumbled across your beautiful blog post about dyeing wool and knitting a hat - what a lovely thing for your husband to have on his head - Nephews are thinking differently.


Raewyn said...

It turned out lovely Joanne - I was going to say beautifully but thought maybe a certain husband would object to that word for a male's hat! I hope he gets a lot of wear out of it. That double sided knitting looks interesting. Well done on another gorgeous project... now all you need now are the sheep!! [and a shearing plant :-)]

Colleen G said...

I'm pretty sure the maker of that $4 hat will never care about the ridges left behind on your husband's scalp. That is what I love about home-made and hope always that the recipients of my crafting hands appreciate just the kind of thinking you followed.

zenuwpees said...

Le bonnet est tres beau bonne journee Marie-Claire

Karen said...

That's surely a gift of love! And it's so cool, to say you went from raw material to a finished product! You might just get me back to knitting. I'd love to try your pattern. Thanks for sharing it!

momto1 said...

I am so impressed by your skills. Only someone who does handwork could really appreciate the amount of effort and creativity that went into making that hat. I don't knit, so can't use your pattern, but I do appreciate your generosity in sharing that, too.

Carolyn Sullivan said...

AWESOME! I have only been knitting a few yrs and am very slow. I have not attempted a hat w a design like that! maybe some day, you are very dedicated to also dye and spin and knit!

Barb said...

incredible! i love the colors and the fact that you dye wool is amazing!!