Sunday, September 25, 2011

Henrietta Whiskers Finished

I finished sewing on the binding for the Henrietta Whiskers quilt today.



It is 48" x 54". I used Civil War Chronicles fabric for all the applique blocks and other fabric for the borders.



I machine appliqued the quilt blocks (using the freezer paper method), and Invasifil thread in the top with Aurifil #50 thread in the bobbin.
The quilt is also free motion machine quilted (on my home sewing machine) using Aurifil #50 thread. I used cotton batting (because I had a piece that was big enough) with flannel for the backing (I intend to use it as a lap quilt).



I used a stencil, and pounce to mark it, for the border. It is really easy to free motion quilt this stencil design (I have used it before), and there are only a couple of areas along the design where backtracking is needed.

 
 

I love the birds in the border.

I am really pleased with how this quilt turned out (it is the first applique quilt I have made). Since this is the last free BOM that Anne from Bunny Hill Design is doing, I am glad that I participated. Thanks Anne!

I spent the day at a mini retreat with Myra and her quilt group - always a fun day, and such a welcoming group of talented women.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!


19 comments:

Wendy said...

Wonderful job! Isn't it great when a long term project is finished with such lovely results?

Gloria said...

Lovely Quilt! Just in time for the fall season!

Winona said...

I love it. I juat finished tracing the applique on my heat and bond for block #9 and the borders. I have a long ways to go. Yours turned out so gorgeous, that now I am more determined to finish mine. (grin)

Michele Hester said...

Very well done.....I actually thought about starting mine today.

Linda said...

Very pretty!!!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow it looks great!!!

Fleurette said...

It's beautiful, well done!

Fiesta said...

Joanne, it is beautiful!

Dee said...

How very cute! I'm always amazed at how quickly you get your quilts quilted. It seems like you just finished the top a couple of days ago!

Karen said...

Wow, what an accomplishment! It's amazing!I was eager to see how you were going to quilt this one and love what you did! Love the border quilting. It'll be so nice to snuggle under with the flannel backing. You must be thrilled with it!

Quilt Hollow said...

Fantastic job...love it!

mimi'sdarlins said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful, great job on the quilting, too! I am in this group and a bit behind, but I've been enjoying your blocks and find them unique in the fabrics you chose. I love the look!!

Mary said...

Your quilt is wonderful! That's one I wanted to do, but still haven't started. I am curious about the cable quilting you did in the border. Can you show me how you did it? I have tried working it out on paper, but haven't come up with how to do it without a huge amount of backtracking.

Colleen said...

Stunning! I love your color choices!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I am kicking myself that I should've come sooner to the mini-retreat so I could visit with you and admire your Henrietta Whiskers quilt. Glad you came and it looks like you and Myra had a good time catching up.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on finishing Henrietta , what a terrific job , love how you quilted it ,I still need to get that part done .

Marsha said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully! I still have to stitch eyes on the crows in the borders, add some buttons, then do the quilting and binding. It will still take me a while to completly finish but this project has been so much fun. Enjoy your lovely quilt!

Karen said...

You kept up with the blocks and got it done. Congratulations on the timely finish and it is so well done.

Diane said...

love your quilt! I used CW fabrics as well, but I like how you used yours in the backgrounds of the blocks. Your quilting and finishing is wonderful.