Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Evolution of My Quilting Samples

I wrote a tutorial on developing your own style for free motion quilted feathers for the SewCalGal 2013 Free Motion Quilting Challenge, and thought I would share the evolution of my quilting samples here. Click on the names of the pieces for more details about each piece.


For this Vase and Feathers piece I quilted feathers with rounded ends, but tried a different (for me) shaped tip - 


Kind of elongated diamonds. I also did the quilting in two different colours, but just different shades, so it is barely noticeable.

This Stupendous Stitching and Whole Cloth piece was next - 


I used the same elongated diamonds for the tips of the feathers, and the same round ends,


but this bottom feather came out with a big tip and a more pointed end. I really liked that one, so for the next piece I went with that.

The piece also had feathers that didn't overlap - normally I kept the lobes of the feathers separate -


But I overlapped the lobes in this section -


And liked the look of that too. The lobes are also uneven in size.



I made the ends of the feathers pointy,


And the tips of the feathers noticeably bigger. I also tried to make the lobes even, and gradually increasing and decreasing in size.


I also included more overlapping of the lobes. This turned out to be one of my favourite pieces that I have ever made!


For the above piece I tried dramatically different colours of threads for the main design and the background. It has the same pointy feather ends, large tips and overlapping lobes, because I love that look. I divided the background into three sections with a curved line, and quilted each section differently. Because these are such small samples it is good to try out different backgrounds.


I quilted the above piece to try out a quilting design with feathers radiating from a centre circle, because I am planning a large whole cloth quilt and thought that this might be a design I would like to use - the designs are all still evolving!!

I hope you will give my challenge on the SewCalGal 2013 FMQ Challenge a try, you might be pleasantly surprised with your results!

Thanks so much to SewCalGal!!
Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

22 comments:

Raewyn said...

Woohoo!! Well done - its so good to see all your feathers. I enjoyed the tutorial on SewCalGal as well. Thank you!!

Linda said...

Amazing quilting, Joanne!!!!

Hannele said...

Beautiful quilting, I so would like to learn to quilt like that :)

Ann J said...

Your quilting, as usual, is amazing! I always look foward to new postings to enjoy. Haven't seen the tutorial yet, but will certainly be taking a look !

Thank you for sharing.......Ann J

Barb said...

it was fun to see your review. It is amazing how proficient you've become. I love the first piece - just lovely.

LiahonaGirl said...

Joanne: You have become so expert at machine quilting, especially feathers. I now have a longarm quilting machine and am beginning to hone my own skills -- but feathers are still pretty intimidating. I know, practice, practice, practice!
Thanks for sharing!
Nancy

Laceflower said...

Your skills are... I'm searching for a word here and failing. FABULOUS. Thank you for doing a tut for SCG. I think it helped that the first guest instructor for the FMQ challenge last year was Diane G and she had us jump right in with feathers; it made them less intimidating after a little practice.

Needled Mom said...

Your work is always such a delight to see. You make it look so easy and look so incredible.

Jan Baker said...

I had to follower you by email. Your feathers are amazing and I need all the help I can get.

Joan said...

Whoohoo indeed - great post!

Lee D said...

I can't believe I am only finding your blog now. YYOur feathering is beautiful. Looks like we have the same sewing machine! I can't wait to get another quilt finished so I can do some feathering. Greetings from Calgary!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

JOanne, your work has inspired more than anyone else in FMQ because I see that you take risks and try out new ideas! Thanks a lot, I'm going to take you up on your challenge.

Julia said...

Just so beautiful Joanne, I have trouble back tracking on a feather.
Your work inspires me to be more patient and practice more..
Julia ♥

What Comes Next? said...

your quilting is just gorgeous Joanne. I'm looking forward to some play as I try your challenge!

LJ said...

I was so inspired by your post at SewCalGal. Your feathers are amazing! I'm so glad to have found your blog and have subscribed and look forward to lots of enjoyment. I feel like such a novice but I may give the challenge a try. Thanks, again.

TJ said...

Amazing!

SewCalGal said...

Your feathers are so lovely, but the piece with the feathers in the vase is inspirational. I also want to encourage you to enter this piece, as well as make more to enter, in various quilt shows. I think you have an award winning quilt in your future!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

corinne said...

WOW!!!

Barb said...

I enjoyed your post over at Sew Cals and enjoyed this one as well, thanks for the useful tips

Ivory Spring said...

Amazing quilting!!!

Quilt Rat said...

Absolutely love the Stupendous Stitching piece paired with the whole cloth feathers....very cool look!!!!! And yes, you are so right about not being too critical as you stitch, I often find that when I am done, stitches I originally thought I did not like actually look quite good. It really is about the overall look in the end. ....we all want perfection.....but I'll settle for the illusion. :-)

Vickie said...

Your quilting is wonderful, I am now following you.